- Application Rationalisation Lead
- 6 months
- Up to £600 -800 per day – Outside IR35
- This is one of several streams of work to implement a new strategy, under the recently appointed Global CIO.
- The client currently operate a fragmented application landscape, with unnecessary duplication and complexity, resulting in higher run costs and limiting speed/ value that we can offer to the various Business Groups.
- The overall Compass strategy and OneTech strategy are aligned on the need to simplify and drive scale where possible, to enable sharp focus on activities that differentiate and add value.
- Historically IT decisions have been distributed across countries and functions, with some global platforms, regional/ country systems, and functional/ site systems – the OneTech strategy, and this initiative, aims to implement common framework, processes and decision-making.
- An initial phase of AppRat work reviewed 46 ‘hotspots’ where we recognise excess so far – and prioritise c20 to move forward – but there are more opportunities to evaluate, and more systems to discover.
- We have secured seed-funding to move forward with this initiative.
- The overall role is to manage the delivery of Application Rationalisation programme of work, initially comprising:
- Early decommissions/quick wins this year (inc “AppSwitchOff” initiative to close down underused apps (
- Driving AppRationalisation of the 20 priority opportunities;
- Identifying and evaluating further opportunities;
- Select and manage 3rd party resources to drive the AppRat programme – including establishing their TMO/PMO capability – note that Accenture are the likely partners for this work;
- Completing the Business Case to secure funding for implementation;
- Establish links to other relevant parts of the business – e.g. application finance, service introduction, CMDB, etc
- Scope is likely to include oversight of some Software Asset Management activities – at minimum to secure the investment in new SAM tool and resources
- Current scale – expected total costs of implementation €c50m, with €c27m annual savings – but this is only the first phase. Duration 12-18 months.
- This role reports through the Compass BC programme governance – currently in design – through to UniOps exec
Target Outcomes and Results:
- Within 2 months to complete the business case in this area, and to secure funding for the implementation phase
- By the end of the year, deliver early savings – minimum 500k
- Establish and report clear metrics and targets for reduction in current set of apps
- Culturally the business have been quite decentralised, with a federated style – this has led to a fragmented application landscape – implementing this centrally-driven AppRat programme is part of a new aligned approach, at a time when the wider organisation is also changing structure.
- Some of the savings deriving from the AppRat initiatives are expected to land outside of IT – the Business Case and implementation will require engagement and commitment beyond IT.
- There is currently no single VP or Director to sponsor this initiative, as it spans all the functions and geographies within the client.
If you wish to apply for this position, please email us at email@example.com