The Backup & Storage Engineer will provide technical expertise and guidance working closely with technical architects and customers in all areas of data protection. Provide support to BAU teams in resolving complex issues, restoring data and performance tuning and write and maintain required technical documentation.
This role is in our Storage and Backup team that provide operational support for our Veeam and HP/Dell storage technologies whilst providing the underpinning backup and disaster recovery solutions based within the DCs. You will be working within a team to deliver an outstanding level of Storage & Backup Administration (to manage, maintain, deploy, troubleshoot, and support servers, storage & backup systems) across our systems, ensuring that all the systems meet or exceed their SLA’s for their customers.
OSB are currently in the middle of a transformation programme and are running a hybrid environment utilising on premise Infrastructure running on the VMware platform. With the desired 3-2-1 backup’s strategy, the role will be assisting with looking at the opportunities available to enhance our existing backup strategies and procedures in the storage and backup arena.
* Ensure enterprise scalability and performance for storage and backup environments through proactive capacity planning, performance control and configuration adjustment;
* Monitoring the ongoing operation of the systems and providing utilization reports using existing tools to identify problems and corrective actions as needed.
* Monitor performance, errors, and warnings on compute and storage systems
* Maintain storage & compute policies and standards
* Troubleshoot performance problems and propose short-term fixes and long-term solutions
* Ensure the compute & storage estate is kept up to date with regular patching & maintenance of the underlying infrastructure.
* Validate RPOs and RTOs with business expectations, ensuring data backups and restore SLAs are established;
* Implement security policies and procedures for storing and safeguarding data;
* Install, maintain and upgrade data storage and backup hardware and software;
* Maintain documentation of configuration, operation and troubleshooting procedures, and service records for data storage and backup hardware and software;
* Ensure compliance with the organisation’s Risk Management and Data Governance Policies
* 5+ working knowledge on SAN Storage, Backup and Storage Fabric technologies
* 5+ working knowledge on Enterprise backup solutions.
* Previous experience working within a financial services organisation
* Excellent knowledge of storage technologies such as iSCSI or Fibre Channel.
* Excellent knowledge in managing corporate Backup environments (Veeam Backup tool, Netbackup, Avamar and Dell Datadomain) are essential
* Working knowledge of Unix, Linux, Windows and VMWare platforms
Skill and Competency Requirements
* Able to analyse problems, spot opportunities for improvements and suggest improvements
* Good attitude and high integrity.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills (Oral & Written).
* GSCE/GCE qualifications in at least 5 subjects (inclusive both maths and English) are essential
* ITIL V3 foundation
* A Computer Science or equivalent technical degree or qualification (or 3 years + experience in a similar role) is desirable
If you wish to apply for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org